Friday 5 September 2008

Stalled Car on a Highway Exit

We travelled back to the city in the dark tonight. I never like travelling in the dark. Especially when I'm tired. I've been tired a lot lately. And sick. Truth be told, I'm sick and tired of feeling this way, but I can't seem to get over it.

Exitting into the city, there was a car with its hazards lights on. It was parked in the space between the highway and the exit. It was small and white. It was undecided.

Highways are made with exceptionally large shoulders here these days. This evening we had chatted about a highway I learned to drive on whose shoulder was non-existent. Not here. That car's parking spot of indecision is case in point. Why is there enough space for a small car to sit, safe and secure, in limbo, between the exit and the highway? They make highway shoulders too big these days.

My father will work until the day he dies. He loves his job. He spent a lot of time, when I was younger, not loving his job. It seemed as if he was unemployed or my mother was unemployed. I was a child, I am probably exagerrating. Those were scary times. My life seemed uncertain until the year we moved. After that, life always had a plan. There was always some path I was going down that I knew would lead me to happiness. Those paths have all run out of exits.

I was offered a temp job today. Eight to ten weeks doing some filing for two bucks less than I said I would work for. I thought about it for an hour and then called the agency back. I've revamped my resume, and asked if they wanted a copy of my most recent resume that illustrates why I deserve what I ask for in these jobs I have no training nor experience in. We'll see what happens...but I don't want those jobs either.

1 comment:

Joda said...

What does the city represent?